Return from SANAE BaseS.A. Agulhas II Return from Antarctica/Weddell Sea ExpeditionMarch 11, 201989 days to go.
S.A. Agulhas II Voyage Schedule
The Weddell Sea Expedition planning meeting is currently underway (9 & 10 October) at the Scott Polar Institute, Cambridge, UK.
South Africa should be extremely proud that our polar vessel, the S.A. Agulhas II, will be used for this voyage. A major part of this expedition will involve the search for Shackleton’s lost ship, the Endurance, which sank in the Weddell Sea in 1915. For more information on the Weddell Sea Expedition, click here.
Author: Anche Louw (Antarctic Legacy of South Africa), 10 October 2018
All available team newsletters now linked on the SANAP Website!
The 57th SANAE Overwintering team has already produced eight newsletters since their arrival at South Africa’s Antarctic research station (SANAE IV), last year December.
What you can expect from this team’s newsletters:
- The team’s preparation before their year on the ice? (December 2017 Issue).
- Meet the whole team and get to know the different team members in each newsletter.
- Learn more about the research conducted at SANAE IV.
- What exactly does North West University’s (NWU) Centre for Space Research (CSR) look at in Antarctica? (July 2018 Issue).
- Weather measurements for some months.
- Team sponsors are also mentioned at the back of each newsletter – on behalf of the team, thank you to all the sponsors. We truly hope that you will build a relationship with our overwinterers and support them annually.
For loads more interesting topics discussed by SANAE57 (Click here).
To see newsletters from previous SANAE teams as well as current and previous Marion Island and Gough Island Overwintering teams (Click here).
Author: Anche Louw (Antarctic Legacy of South Africa), 10 September 2018