The December 2019 – February 2021 positions for Antarctica will soon be advertised here. If you are interested in overwintering at the South African National Antarctic Expedition Station, SANAE IV, make sure you know all about the different positions available.
Note that this position at SANAE IV is not permanent and is based on a 15 month contract.
More about the Senior Meteorological Technician position for the South African Weather Service (SAWS) at SANAE IV…
- National Weather Certificate or BSc Degree (Honours) in Natural Sciences or Previous Island Experience.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have been to the islands before.
- Candidates must be willing to work shifts (both day and night shifts), and on public holidays in possible adverse weather conditions.
- Candidates must be punctual, dedicated, precise and able to work in a team, as well as on their own.
- Oversee and coordinate surface meteorological and atmospheric research project assigned by the Marine Section of SAWS.
- Perform surface meteorological observations and maintain and verify all equipment at the remote station of SANAE IV.
- Conduct quality control of data, report writing and asset control.
- Assist other team members with logistical and administrative tasks associated with the general running of the base.
- Conduct all duties in accordance with the rules, regulations and standards as set out by the South African Weather Service.
Watch this video and meet Meteorological Technicians previously (of the 57th SANAE Overwintering Team, Season: December 2017 – March 2019) and currently (of the 58th SANAE Overwintering Team (Season: December 2018 – February 2020) at SANAE IV.
Contact Mardené de Villiers or Tammy Morris (SAWS) for more information regarding this position – Tel: (021) 935 5700
Over the next few weeks we will share more information about the different positions and you can also watch videos of previous overwintering personnel at SANAE.
Subscribe to the ALSA YouTube Channel to make sure you do not miss any new videos on our channel.
Senior Meteorological Technician for SANAE IV minimum requirements and duties are taken from official job advert for this position (Department of Environmental Affairs and South African Weather Service).
Anché Louw, Antarctic Legacy of South Africa, 10 June 2019