The S.A. Agulhas II is currently on her way home, after being in the Antarctica waters for 3 months. Onboard is the returning 57th SANAE (South African National Antarctic Expedition) overwintering team, 2018/2019 SANAE take-over personnel, Weddell Sea Expedition members and ship based scientists of different South African universities.
Expected time of arrival (ETA): 15 March 2019, around 08:30
The vessel will then proceed to Landing Wall 1 for inward clearance and shifting in to east pier around 08:30.
Anché Louw, Antarctic Legacy of South Africa, 14 March 2019
All available team newsletters now linked on the SANAP Website!
The 57th SANAE Overwintering team has already produced eight newsletters since their arrival at South Africa’s Antarctic research station (SANAE IV), last year December.
What you can expect from this team’s newsletters:
- The team’s preparation before their year on the ice? (December 2017 Issue).
- Meet the whole team and get to know the different team members in each newsletter.
- Learn more about the research conducted at SANAE IV.
- What exactly does North West University’s (NWU) Centre for Space Research (CSR) look at in Antarctica? (July 2018 Issue).
- Weather measurements for some months.
- Team sponsors are also mentioned at the back of each newsletter – on behalf of the team, thank you to all the sponsors. We truly hope that you will build a relationship with our overwinterers and support them annually.
For loads more interesting topics discussed by SANAE57 (Click here).
To see newsletters from previous SANAE teams as well as current and previous Marion Island and Gough Island Overwintering teams (Click here).
Author: Anche Louw (Antarctic Legacy of South Africa), 10 September 2018
Click on the link below and view their official team photo among the previous SANAE overwintering teams.
Anché Louw, Antarctic Legacy of South Africa, 23 May 2018